Route walked

Route walked
Yucatan to Belize coast

Buy the Mile: Donations and Sponsorships:

Buy the Mile:  Donations and Sponsorships:

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill
Year 2007, PaaMul to Tulum

Sunday, May 9, 2010

River Crossing Problem 2010

Rio Huach: This river is located along the Yucatan coast between Mahahual and XCalak, MX. On the locogringo.com aerial photos it shows a bridge, but on google earth it shows there is no bridge. I just confirmed today that the bridge burnt down in 2006 and there is no replacement! We are hiking from the north to south. The nearest settlements/buildings/pueblos are 6 miles north of this river. I called my dad today in a panic, he said not to worry, that he can get us over it. He reminded me that last time we needed to get over an inlet during this hike, he made a raft. I was told that this Rio Huach has crocodiles in it! I hope I see one. I was also told that on the other side of this river there is hotel property where the clothing is optional....when I told my dad this, that was incentive enough for him to get us over. I will keep walking, thank you, once we cross the river. I think we can wait on the north side of this river and wave to someone with a boat to take us across. If anyone else has any great ideas, I'm open to them. It sounds like I will be coming home with yet another story of how we get thru these obstacles.

PS: In 1958, the author Peissel finally found a boat to take him to Belize from Mahahual, so he did not mention this river.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Influential Adventure Books

  • Embarking on the Mariposa Trail by Mari Pintkowski
  • Tourist in the Yucatan by James McNay Brumfield
  • Facing the Congo by Jeffrey Tayler
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival by Yossi Ghinsberg
  • World Walk by Steven Newman
  • Paddle to the Amazon by Don Starkell