Route walked

Route walked
Yucatan to Belize coast

Buy the Mile: Donations and Sponsorships:

Buy the Mile:  Donations and Sponsorships:

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill
Year 2007, PaaMul to Tulum

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Montezuma's Revenge and the Mayan Curse


In all of the 450+ miles that we have hiked, we have only gotten sick once. That was year 2008 from Tulum to Santa Rosa. (Santa Rosa is the peninsula between the 2 large bays after Punta Allen. It is also a private island--the only way to get there is by boat or plane and you need permission.) We were also invited to go to 2 ruins on this island: Tupac and Chac Mool. Tupac is a Mayan observatory and Chac Mool is a sacrificial site.




We both got Montezuma's Revenge: however, I was still able to hike 15 miles of this island! I believe that we got Montezuma's revenge for possibly 2 reasons: we brushed our teeth with tap water in one very bad cabana, or we were so desperate to have cold water to drink, we took ice from a gracious picnicking Mexican family. Our bottled water was hot, gross and low, we came across a MX family on a picnic out of nowhere near the water. They had coolers with ice. They also gave us a huge container of purified water that we carried with us and cups. But the ice was probably made from their tap water. My father was so sick, I went to the Punta Allen Walk in Health Care because I was worried. 2 weeks after we returned home from Chac Mool, the Mayan Sacrificial Site, I got a kidney stone (my family and I are not prone to this), my father had poison ivy all over his face, he got pneumonia, and a Cadillac converter fell off the shelf at work and cut his leg. He had to have 28 stitches!
Was it a Mayan curse?


1 comment:

  1. I ENJOY READING EVERY ONE. I EVEN PRINTED THEM AND HAVE THEM STAPLED TOGETHER LIKE A BOOK TO HAVE BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I KNOW 2 FAMOUS ADVENTURERS AND OF COURSE LOVE THE MOM & DAD ..OUR DEAR FRIENDS IN RAYMOND MAINE. BESIDES I FIND THIS WHOLE JOURNEY FASCINATING TO READ, AND IT HOLDS MY INTEREST TO READ MORE WHENEVER THEY TAKE ON A NEW ADVENTURE. AND I AM NOT A BOOK READER. SO WENDY MY DEAR YOU'VE GOT MY INTEREST.KEEP IT GOING. YOUR AN AMAZING LADY. I WISH YOU AND DAD SAFE TRAVELS.
    LOVE STELLA

    ReplyDelete

Influential Adventure Books

  • Embarking on the Mariposa Trail by Mari Pintkowski
  • Tourist in the Yucatan by James McNay Brumfield
  • Facing the Congo by Jeffrey Tayler
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival by Yossi Ghinsberg
  • World Walk by Steven Newman
  • Paddle to the Amazon by Don Starkell