Route walked

Route walked
Yucatan to Belize coast

Buy the Mile: Donations and Sponsorships:

Buy the Mile:  Donations and Sponsorships:

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill
Year 2007, PaaMul to Tulum

Saturday, April 10, 2010

How do we train for hiking 500 miles in the tropics in sand and rocks?



The terrain on the Quintana Roo coast is not all white sandy beach--in fact, I'd say that it is 60% coral, limestone and rocks, and 40% sand. It is also 108 degrees F at noon in the sun. My backpack usually weighs about 18 pounds, minus bottled water.

My father is 65 years old and I am 42 years old. To train for this adventure, during the winter months in Maine, I participate in Zumba and all other aerobics and cross country ski; all other months, I run on trails with my Siberian Husky. Also, in March, if the conditions are right, I will walk in the snow (acts like sand) on trails. By April and May, I walk with my backpack, full weight, I will even walk during my lunch break at work with my backpack. I also kayak, hike, play volleyball, tennis, bike, and surf. I have participated in a number of running 5K races, such as Komen and Race for the Cure. I was also in the US Navy for 7 years--bootcamp will get anyone in shape and start a lifetime of physical fitness!

My father has played basketball all of his life; he is on the Senior Olympics basketball team, and the number one 3 point shooter in New England for his age group. He has numerous medals. He cross country skis every weekend in the winter, and plays volleyball, tennis, bikes, surfs and hikes.

I am not exaggerating when I say that he is ALWAYS ahead of me on the coast of the Mayan Yucatan! He even carried my backpack plus his for an afternoon, because I was too hungry, thirsty, and upset that we could not find a hotel!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Influential Adventure Books

  • Embarking on the Mariposa Trail by Mari Pintkowski
  • Tourist in the Yucatan by James McNay Brumfield
  • Facing the Congo by Jeffrey Tayler
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival by Yossi Ghinsberg
  • World Walk by Steven Newman
  • Paddle to the Amazon by Don Starkell