Route walked

Route walked
Yucatan to Belize coast

Buy the Mile: Donations and Sponsorships:

Buy the Mile:  Donations and Sponsorships:

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill

Hiking the Yucatan coastline, Richard Bailey and Wendy Morrill
Year 2007, PaaMul to Tulum

Sunday, April 11, 2010

How it Began Part III

During the winter of 2006/2007, is when I read the book Lost World of Quintana Roo by Peissel. And the idea started spinning in my head: we could walk the entire coast of the Yucatan Caribbean. My father, of course, was all over that. He thought that was a great idea. Peissel walked the Yucatan coastline to Belize in 1958. He was the first white man to explore this treasure coast. However, back then, there was nobody on the beach but bandits, pirates, chicle camps, coconut plantations and men running from the law. That is why it was called the Lost World. But now from Cancun to Tulum there is nothing but all inclusive resorts. South of Tulum there is still that wild, savage land that Peissel once experienced with some inhabitants: small fishing villages and Mayan communities. Although, every year and about every 100 miles I notice that there are new resorts being built. Which is why I am calling it the Found World.

Every winter I do my research, by reading as much as I can, re reading Lost World, peering over my topographical and road maps marking the mileage and towns, looking at the aerial coast photos by using the Loco Gringo site, and reading the Yucatan Adventure Guide by Bruce Concord. As far as I know, there are only 3 people in this world that have walked from Cancun to San Pedro: me, my dad and Michael Peissel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Influential Adventure Books

  • Embarking on the Mariposa Trail by Mari Pintkowski
  • Tourist in the Yucatan by James McNay Brumfield
  • Facing the Congo by Jeffrey Tayler
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival by Yossi Ghinsberg
  • World Walk by Steven Newman
  • Paddle to the Amazon by Don Starkell